- Birds! Just in our backyard is the World of Birds, covering some 400 different species of birds and small mammals.
- Penguins! Boulders Beach, next to Simon’s Town, is home to a colony of 2100 African penguins. Or Betty’s Bay, just before Hermanus – just as many and less touristy.
- Great White Sharks! Operations running Shark Cage Diving adventures leave from Simon’s Town as well as Gansbaai – both offer some of the best locations worldwide to spot great whites.
- Seals! All along the coast if you can spot them, but don’t miss your chance to dive amongst them around Duiker Island. Side note: the water here is shark-free.
- Whales! From June to December whales come over from the Antarctic to calve: here the water is warmer and they are protected in bays, such as False Bay behind the corner. Especially Hermanus is known for whale watching, but please consider also The Hope Nature Reserve: pristine blue waters, high dunes, calm and a very well known calving area.
- Big 5! Not for a daytrip, but very easily to be combined in a Western Cape tour: Big 5 safaris in Garden Route Game Reserve (Mossel Bay), and if you want it to be top notch, Sanbona or Gondwana Game Reserve.
for foodies - copy - copy